Tuesday, June 30, 2020

I Write Because I Can


I Write Because I Can 
 
In the United States a lowly and brutal trade took place in which men and women were kidnapped from the great land mass we know today as Afrika. After the import of humans from Afrika was discontinued a domestic breeding program took place and people were bred as chattel to perform work in various industry throughout the United States. In order to maintain a position of dominance many key abilities that enable human development were not allowed to be pursued by the victims of the United States in its quest for great wealth by ensuring its free labor through the oppression of the people who were being bought and sold like cattle or poultry. Even in the period of so called emancipation the powers that be installed the Black Codes and Jim Crow in order to keep a foothold up on the class of people who they did not want to gain the ability to raise himself to a higher station above that of which he found himself cast into at the bottom of the society.
Reading and writing were forbidden to the diaspora for hundreds of years in the United States and if it was discovered that a Black man or woman could read or write they were beaten, raped and lynched for this crime.
A website titled "Fight Municipal Court Abuse (court.rchp.com) includes the following in its list of significant anti-black literacy laws:
  • 1819, Missouri: Prohibited assembling or teaching slaves to read or write
  • 1829, Georgia: Prohibited teaching blacks to read, punished by fine and imprisonment
  • 1832, Alabama and Virginia: Prohibited whites from teaching blacks to read or write, punished by fines and floggings
  • 1833, Georgia: Prohibited blacks from working in reading or writing jobs (via an employment law), and prohibited teaching blacks, punished by fines and whippings (via an anti-literacy law)
  • 1847, Missouri: Prohibited teaching blacks to read or write
Restrictions on the education of black students were not limited to the South. While teaching blacks in the North was not illegal, many Northern states, counties, and cities barred black students from public schools. What did the ability to read and write present to the master class that they went to such lengths to deprive Black people from being able to read and write ? Some how the saying “if yo want to hide something from a Black person put it in a book” comes to mind when I examine the prohibition placed on Black people barring them from the pursuit of becoming literate.
Black people were victims of a mass robbery, taken from Blacks was their religion, their culture, their language and the knowledge of self. Look at how the dynasties of ancient Egypt are depicted by western media and scholastic sources. The film adaptation of the Exodus with Moses played by Charlton Heston and Pharaoh played by Yul Brynner and every main character is a white person the only Black people in the movie are the slaves. This is just one example of how the United States rewrites history and uses the false narrative to install a white supremacist world view.

Today we are advancing in leaps and bounds into the high tech era. Many in the Black community are experiencing what is being termed as a digital divide. This is of little consequence when there is a literacy divide where many Black people are uneducated or under educated. How can people who can not read navigate a digital landscape ? I am a self educated man and I use the skills I learned to express my thoughts about the social interactions that exist within the United States. I write because I CAN and I take myself very seriously as a writer because I feel as though I have something of value to share with the world. As a man who has overcome very perilous situations and survived battles with members of my own community and assaults by members of other communities to evolve into a sagacious personality. I want to contribute to the well being of my brothers and sisters and writing is the medium I have chosen to do it with. In this day and age that has been falsely identified as post racism we see Black people being murdered before our very own eyes thanks to the Internet and people are taking to the streets in protests that have recently turned into full scale riots. There has to be voices that speak in measured tones and bring rational thought to bear in order to direct a balanced approach to the fight for social change. Writing is the weapon I choose to fight the system with. No nation state or group of individuals will beat the United States in a gunfight. The United States licks its chops and invites armed confrontation. The nation with the biggest budget for defense, the nation with the most military arms contractors and the nation who will kill its own President if the need arises. I choose to use words as weapons to plant the seeds of thought into the minds of those who will listen and heed my advice. The first steps we need to take as a people is to make an effort to educate one another. Liberation through education. The knowledge of self is the foundation of any nationalist movement. To define the Black men and women in the United States a vast amount to information has the be researched and the lies and inaccuracies made void and the truth brought to the surface. Their has to be a consensus among the people and by which a course is plotted to the goal we wish to reach. We cannot be divided by culture, religious beliefs or geography. The most divisive of these being religion because when people come to believe they are chosen by a deity and others are of little to no worth to their deity what is written in the book or books they prescribe to can be sharpened into a weapon that severs the bonds of friendship, family and community. We must become bound by our common interest in the struggle for liberation and nationhood. The descendants of the Trans-Atlantic Slave holocaust are a nation unto themselves and need to adopt a national identity that is free from the poisons that separate us.
I write because I can. I write as a tool to form nationalist points of view in the minds of Black people. The answer to white supremacy is not integration, it is Black supremacy. I do not want to harm white people, I want to protect Black people. In order to protect ourselves we must know who our enemy is.
The enemy to the masses of Black people is ignorance. We will be destroyed due to a lack of knowledge. I write because I can. I write in order to bring knowledge to Black people as a deterrent to triple stage darkness and to set those who will listen on a path towards liberated minds and unconfined thinking. To think outside of the box is to shed the box the slavers sat Black peoples minds in during the period of captivity and afterwards. Black Power to the Black People !

No comments:

Post a Comment